Friday, August 22, 2008

Hybrid diapers!

I've got to thank our friend Christian for her awesome blog that introduced me to gDiapers. They're not cloth diapers, not disposable, but an earth-friendly hybrid (all according to their site, which I've looked at extensively).

We likely won't have a washer or dryer in our building (somewhat rare in this city), and will most likely continue to do the drop-off service at the local laundromat when we move, so cloth diapers aren't really an option (yes, we could do the whole sink or bathtub wash and air dry, but this is NYC - there's so little room to even hang up clotheslines in apartments here!). And I just can't in good conscience only go with disposables (though I'm sure there will be exceptions to the rule.

I've looked at some of the reviews online - pretty much a love/hate product. Love for the environmental factors (other than the fact that it does require flushing, which uses water for the 10 or so changes a day, but we try to abide by "if it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down" anyways); hate because they take a little extra time to use and they leak if you don't get the fit just right. Having worked a lot with babies (and twin infants, at that), I think I'll have a slightly easier time than some new parents in getting the speedy thing down, I'm not afraid of poop (having worked with children and adults with disabilities and changed diapers/Depends on individuals from 0-65), and I know that even the best-placed diaper will have it's leak now and again when the baby has an occasional explosion.

Anyhow, we've got another 5 or so months until we get to try them out, but I'm so anxious to do it!





1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you're really that anxious, you should come to Houston for a gDiaper road test. We've got plenty of diapers every day that you could change. :)