Thursday, July 31, 2008

Plopping and Waddling

When I was a kid, I used to get in trouble at Grandpa and Grandma Kyllo's house for plopping down hard onto their living room chairs and sofas. I still do it. Sometimes I even think I'm going to break our little self-assembled love seat, but it doesn't really stop me. But now it seems my body is. For the last few days after running around the office and back to my desk to alert someone their guest has arrived or just because I'm exhausted from being up so long (doesn't take long), I've learned all the ligaments attaching my uterus to my insides pull and cause some pain, particularly since I started out with cramps throughout my pregnancy. Whenever I watched pregnant women slowly back into seats and grab onto things for help, I thought it was just to steady themselves with all their extra weight, but now I see that it also physically just hurts to sit down too hard. Sigh.

The other thing is, I'm starting to waddle. Another thing I thought was due to weight, which I haven't gained a ton of yet, though more and more people that know I'm pregnant comment on the fact that I'm showing. I still think the average person would just think I look a bit round, but friends deny it. Anyhow, I thought from the start that I was walking differently, and saw just the other day an episode of Bones in which she could tell a woman was pregnant at 14 weeks due to the way her abdomen had started spreading and her legs were holding her differently. I know mom and dad are anxious to see me "waddle", though I'd like to think I'm just rocking back and forth a bit more for the time being.

Mainly I'm just getting annoyed (of course, as a giant walking hormone living in one of the most aggressive cities in the world, its easy to be irritable), because I can't maneuver through crowds as quickly as I used to and run through the office attending various guests that have piled up when we have five meetings starting at one time. The stairs from the subways are also seeming much longer than they used to. Sigh. I guess of all the things I have to get used to, this ones pretty obvious. And soon I can be assured a seat on the train and co-workers have already begun offering to carry my heavy trays of drinks when I get much bigger. I should just enjoy.

No comments: